Chateau des Roques Vacqueyras Cuvee de Chateau Rouge 2015
Why we love it
AOC Vacqueyras was once Cotes du Rhone Village. With very close promixity to Chateauneuf-du-Pape (aka. CDP), it is very well-known for its Grenanche-based red wine blend.
While there are 13 official grape varieties allowed in the blend, GSM = Grenache + Syrah + Mourvèdre is probably the most popular amongst all. This style is known for its boldness and intensity of flavours.
I want to find an alternative red wine, with similar aroma profiles yet lighter in texture intensity, a red wine which can be enjoyed on its own, before dinner or the first wine for an evening.
This Vacqueqyras red by Chateau de Roques is almost my natural choice - It is fleshy, with a sweet red-fruit bouquet nose and silky texture end-palate with a touch of subtle black pepper. Lots of plums & dark cherries, very tasty and surprisingly elegant (especially for a GSM blend).
- Olivia, PENTICTON
- 70% Grenache, 15% Syrah, 15% Mourvedre
- AOC Vacqueyras, Rhone Valley, France
- Fermented in traditional large "demi-muid" 600L oak barrel
- Best to serve at 19 degrees
They love it too
- 89 / 100 Wine Enthusiast 2018 - "A bit leaner and restrained compared with many of its robust vintage peers, this blend of 70% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre and 15% Syrah offers ripe but crisp blackberry and plum flavors. It's approachable but elegant with fresh acidity and a grip of chalky tannins on the finish. Enjoy now–2024". ANNA LEE C. IIJIMA
- Recommended by "1001 degustation" with 2 stars
- Bronze Medal Winner - Decanter 2018